Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My Generation - The Outside Relatives

In the words of my uncle:

Strictly speaking, all boys are inside relatives or clan because they retain the family name. All girls ultimately belong to Outside Relatives because once they are married, in or out, they change names and belong to other families.

Conclusions
  1. Our ancestral tree shows good genetic traits.
  2. Our general trait has been honest decent and upright people.
  3. We had no outstanding governor, general, author or millionaire; but we also had no criminals, outlaws or mentally ill. We also had no known hereditary disease.
  4. Many of our people were very talented, with good brain and good potential. Many were wasted and buried because of general poverty, ignorance and lack of educational opportunity.

Exhibits: Family Trees
Wongs
I-A: Oi-Tong Wong, my father-in-law, a Lutheran minister of a German Rhenish Mission Church in Hong Kong. Wife, Yuet King Cheu, no schooling.
I-C: Tak-Hing Wong, M.D., single, an aunt, famous obstetrician and gynecologist. in Guangzhou. Very wealthy. Supported many nieces and nephews' education. Founded and financed a high school in Hong Kong.
II-A: B.A. Hong Kong University, business. Successful importer-exporter. Had traveled all over the world, including Russia. Oldest child and son in the family. Supported many of younger sisters and brothers' education. Had about ten children. Died of stroke in Hong Kong.
II-B: Second brother, a soldier. Died.
II-C: Third brother, an accountant and secretary. Died of heart disease.
II-D: Fourth brother, M.D. Lin Nam University, Guangzhou. Had three sons and two daughters.
II-E: Fifth brother, M.D. Hong Kong University. Practices in Hong Kong. Five sons.
II-a: First sister, M.D. Ling Nam University, Guangzhou. Major first in OB/GYN, later changed to Pediatrics. Chief of Pediatric at Hackett Hospital, Guangzhou. Died in Hong Kong, of broken hip. (Wye Ching Wong, M.D.)
II-b: Second sister, principal of a high school in Nanching. Now in a nursing home in Hong Kong. Diabetes and cardiac arrhythmia. (Sum Ching Wong)
II-c: Third sister, M.D. Lingnam and Shanghai Medical Schools. Leader and unofficial head of the Wong family. Very capable and generous. Practiced in a missionary hospital in Wuzhou, Guangsi Province, then at the office of aunt I-C in Guangzhou, then in Hong Kong. Died of dissecting aneurysm, involved and occluded the coronary orifices, August 27, 1987 in Hong Kong. She was like a mother, physically, emotionally and financially, to the youngest three in the family, especially toward my wife. (Hang Ching Wong, M.D.)
II-d: Fourth sister, a midwife nurse. Divorced a doctor. Died in Hong Kong May 7, 1987. (Sau Ching Wong)
II-e: Fifth sister, a kindergarten and piano teacher. Husband He-Tak Wu, Ph.D. in education, Stanford University. Was vice president and professor of Chinese University in Hong King. Grand J.P. (Justice of Peace) by the Queen of England. He died of stroke in San Francisco, CA December 1978.
II-f: Sixth sister, one year older than my wife. Died at age three, hit by car.
II-g: Seventh daughter, my wife, M.D.
II-h: Eighth sister, the youngest and the spoiled, Aunt Patricia, R.N. Husband Basil Chang, a Shanghai native, engineer, major in cement concrete manufacture. One son, Patrick Chang, B.A. in Administration, Fordham University, NY. Aunt Pat lives in Tampa and Rotonda, FL. Patrick and his wife Ann live in New York.
II-F: Cousin number 1, B.S. Lingnam University, Guangzhou, China. M.D. Harvard Medical School, Boston. Board certified in surgery. Specialized in parathyroid. Was Chief of Surgery, Lingnam University and the affiliated Sun Yet San Hospital. In the late 1940's, he was one of the few men who performed vascular and thoracic surgery in China, including aneurysm. Now Associate Professor of surgery at Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital. (Chiu-An Wang, M.D.)
II-G: Younger brother of II-F, M.D, Guei Yang Medical College, Guei Yang, China. Radiologist (diagnostic) at MGH and Harvard. Assistant Professor. (C.C. Wang, M.D.)
III-A: Fourth son of II-A, M.D. Hong Kong University, now practices in Australia. Wife Emma. Had several children, drove a Mercedes and owns a motor boat. (Kai Wo Wong, M.D.)
III-B: Oldest daughter of II-A, a piano teacher. Married a jobless minister Tsai. Now in Australia, three sons, all accomplished musicians - Joshua Tsai (concert pianist, Australia), Caleb Tsai (concert pianist, Baltimore), Tom (cellist). The first two graduated from Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore.
III-C: Son number 6 or 8 of II-A, M.S. from a school in London, a scientist. (Kai Ming Wong)
III-D: Adopted son of II-B, supported and raised by sister number 2, II-b. History teacher (Kai Chuen Wong)
III-F: Kai Ping Wong, M.D. Hong Kong University, diagnostic radiologist. Australia. Wife Mable. Several children.
III-G: Kai Fan Wong, B.S. Biology teacher at Hong Kong U.
III-H: Kai Cheong Wong, M.D. Hong Kong University, Anesthesiologist at Hong Kong Univ. Hospital
etc: Two daughters of fourth brother II-D, accomplished pianists.
III-i: Ben Wu
III-J: John Wu, lab technologist, B.S. and M.S., worked for Kaiser Foundation Hospital in San Francisco area. Wife Dana is Japanese. Two or three sons.
Five sons of fifth brother II-E: Robert, a journalist; Albert, engineer B.S. (or M.S.) University of Illinois; Ramon, also a college graduate either from Canada or Hong Kong. Robert remains single, a very devoted and diehard Christian. Albert and Ramon married and had children of their own. Fourth and fifth probably already married - 4th brother II-D: Chik On Wong, M.D.; 5th brother II-E: Tak On James Wong, M.D.

Moys
I-A: Dung Sum, my grandfather. He died young.
I-B: Dung Nap, died of cholera in 1942. Was in America.
I-C: Dung Jik, my mother's third uncle, was in America. The wealthiest, died after the War.
I-D: Dung Soon, fourth uncle of my mother, died of cancer of the larynx in New York.
I-E: Dung Nan, was in America. A pioneer migrator from Taishan to Guangzhou, he moved his whole family from country to city as early as the 1910's. His family witnessed the massacre of the Communist cadets on the street of Guangzhou by Chiang Kai Shek agents in the early morning of April 12, 1927. He died of leukemia after the War.
II-A: Dick Liang, my uncle. Died of TB (tuberculosis) in New York in the 1960's.
II-B: Sui King Moy, my mother. Died in August, 1997.
II-C: My younger uncle, who died at age 16 on the sea journey home from America, of unknown cause. He simply disappeared from the ship.
II-D: The oldest child and girl in her generation. Married to Chen family, has one son and one daughter. Still living and well in New York.
II-E: Dick Guing, died at age about 20, of cavernous thrombosis, due to a very innocent pyogenic skin infection of upper lip, the triangle of danger zone. He left a 17 year-old widow and a young infant boy.
II-F: Dick Non, able to play many musical instruments, learned by himself. Disappeared during the War.
II-G: Dick Chau, lost his mother in early childhood. Stepmother was mean to him. Disappeared during the War.
II-H: Dick Foon, not very productive but very talented; able to smoothly talk his way out of trouble. Died in 1970's. He was one uncle who stayed in the village the longest, and thus closest to us.
II-i: Died in New York in the 1970's.
II-J: Dick Ching Moy, died in Hong Kong in the 1980's. Very talented, graduated sixth grade in Pui Ching School first in the class of about 100. His father would not support his further education. In Guangzhou, I learned to play Chinese banjo from him and a few other Chinese songs.
II-K: Dick Gong, about two years younger than I. We two used to rent bicycles and drive around the street together. My playmate.
II-L: Dick Jung, younger than my sister, very smart. Died of epilepsy before age ten.
III-A: My cousin, Si Tan, one year older than my brother. The two were very close. In the early 1950's, he developed a perforated ulcer. There was no surgical facility in the village. So he died, age 32, leaving behind a young widow with five little kids, two boys and three girls. My grandmother was so broken-hearted and refused to eat or drink. She also died within months.
III-B: Toy Ngor, my girl cousin, two years older than I. She and I are very close. Married a Leo who died in New York of lung cancer at about age 40. The whole family lives in Baltimore.
III-C: Wah Ham Chen, died in New York a few years ago, of stroke.
III-D: Jak Fun, a Christian. I learned harmonica from him. He also taught himself to play piano, accordion, etc. Family lives in New York Chinatown.
III-G: Kwok Jiang, recently came to America, visited Baltimore relatives.
III-H: Fung Lan, my next door girl cousin, R.N. She and her husband live in Los Angeles.
III-i: Noi Fong, girl, died of brain cancer young.
IV-ABCDE: Whole family lives in San Diego. The girl, IV-C, Shirley or Shelly Wong is the leader and most sensible one.
IV-FGH: Mildred Leo married an American Buddhist, Tom Joray, a schoolteacher. She is a secretary. Lives near Baltimore, two children.
IV-i: Nina Moy married Albert. They used to play together in Guangzhou and Hong Kong, and grew up together. Her grandma took her to visit us in Baltimore in the early 1960's. When Albert took his residency training in New York, they met again. It was a fabulous wedding in New York and a grand family reunion. Hundreds of relatives and clans attended. My father was invited, with my mother's consent, to sit at the head table, together with my mother as the honorable heads of household.

Lais
I-A: Gee Lai, my grandmother.
I-BC: Were in America. Rich.
I-E: Whole family moved to New York in the 1910's or 1920's. Only 7 years above my dad.
II-ABC: My dad's age group. Died in New York. I never met them. C was my brother's paper father.
II-DEF: not more than ten years older than my brother. D's whole family lives in New York. He died a few years ago.
II-E: He was a G.I., a gunner, and therefore half deaf. I played with him when I was a kid. After the War, he returned home to marry a native girl. When he took his new bride back to America, they both stayed at our house in Guangzhou while waiting for the processing. His wife knew our family and my parents well. Yet, it was she who introduced and matched her aunt with my father.
II-F: disabled by hunchback due to tuberculosis of spine. No family. Died in New York.
II-G: Janet died of hypertension in New York several years ago.
II-HI: Lilly is my age, was born in New York. My father took her to visit us in Baltimore before Linda was born. Has a nice and pleasant personality. Married a Ho. Has children. Lives in New York, not far from Chinatown. Worked at the Court House. Mary was also born in New York. Married a Chen, lived in New York.
III-A: My brother and I were sent to attend his wedding when I was about 5 or 6 years old. My great grandmother spoiled me.
III-BCD and III-E: BCD were girls, E a boy of my age. We played together once.
III-FG: F, a girl. G, my age, an M.D.
III-i: Mee Sem. Her paper was sold to my brother. She was somewhat limp, about my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment